Summer is here and it's heating up! Be sure your car is summer-ready.
That doesn't mean converting your car to an ice cream truck, so here are some other tips:
- Check you car battery. Heat can zap the life from your car battery, causing evaporation of battery fluid and corrosion on terminals and connections. If your battery is more than 3 years old, it's a good idea to have it tested by our trained ASE technicians. We're a AAA Approved Auto Repair facility.
- Keep your engine cool. Be sure your engine coolant is filled to the proper level and doesn't require flushing. This will help protect your car's engine.
- Check your tires. Driving on under-inflated tires on hot roads can cause tires to overheat and increase the likelihood of a blowout. Check tire pressure when tires are cool to be sure inflated to pressure recommended by vehicle manufacturer. This can be found on the sticker normally located on the driver's door jamb.
- Check engine fluids including motor oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid and brake fluid to be sure filled to appropriate levels. If you have to top off repeatedly, this may be an indication of a problem and your car should be serviced to prevent breakdown or more expensive repairs.
- Keep your passengers (and the driver) happy. Be sure your air conditioning system is working properly and the cabin filter has been inspected to see if its time to replace.
- Be ready. And just in case, be sure you're prepared for summer breakdowns. Keep a well-stocked emergency kit that includes water, non-perishable food, jumper cables, a flashlight with extra batteries, road flares or emergency beacon, basic hand tools, coolant and a first aid kit.